Lead Hazard Control Program

*You DO NOT have to be a HUD assisted home to be eligible.

Contractor/Bid Information

Lead Safe Housing Registry List (Rental Properties)

Lead Safe Housing Registry List (Owner-Occupied Properties)



Lead-contaminated dust from lead-based paint is the primary cause of lead exposure in homes. Lead causes a variety of health problems in young children, including reduced IQ, developmental delays, learning disabilities, impaired hearing, and more. The effects from lead are PERMANENT but PREVENTABLE.

The Cerro Gordo County Lead-Based Paint Hazard Control Grant provides funding for eligible homeowners and property owners to remove lead based paint hazards in older homes. Homes built before 1978 are high-risk for lead-based paint hazards. The greatest risk is to homes built prior to 1960. Cerro Gordo County has a large stock of homes built prior to 1960.

Program Guidelines:
The Cerro Gordo County Lead-Based Paint Hazard Control (LBPHC) funds have been made available from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to make old homes lead-safe to prevent childhood lead exposure and poisoning.

Funds are available for Cerro Gordo County homes that meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Home is built prior to 1978. Both rental and owner-occupied units are eligible to apply.
  • Have at least one child 5 years of age or under living in the home or visiting a significant amount of time
    (3 hours on two separate days of the week, 60 hours per year total), or have a pregnant woman in
  • the home.
  • Applicant must meet income requirements, which will be determined internally after an application is submitted with ALL required items attached (page 3 of application).  For owner-occupied housing, applicants must have a gross household income at or below 80% the Area Median Income (AMI).  For rental properties, at least 50% of the eligible units assisted with program funds must be occupied by families with incomes at or below 50% AMI with the remaining assisted units at or below 80% of the AMI.  See the Income Limits posted below:

Income Limits:

Family Size1 person2 people3 people4 people5 people6 people7 people8 people
<50% (Very Low Income)$25,400$29,000$32,650$36,250$39,150$42,050$44,950$47,850
<80% (Low Income)$40,600$46,400$52,200$58,000$62,650$67,300$71,950$76,600

**Priority will be given to the units where a child with an elevated blood lead level resides.
–Half of rental units need to be 50% or lower, the other half can be 80% or lower.
–All owner occupied must be 80% or lower.
–Multi-family units: only 20% of units in same building can exceed 80%.

Application Process:

  1. Print off the application below and fill it out completely.  Please make sure that you select the correct application.  If you are a homeowner living in the home you own, click on “Owner-Occupied Application.”  If you are a tenant or landlord, please use the “Rental Application.”  If you do not have a printer available, please call 641-421-9301 and request a paper copy of the application.
  2. Gather ALL the required information and items listed on page 3 of the application.  All items must be gathered and submitted with an application before it is considered for the LBPHC Grant Program.
  3. Submit your application.  This can be mailed to or dropped off to CG Public Health, 2570 4th St. SW, Mason City, IA 50401 (next door to Hobby Lobby). Office hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM – 4:30PM, where there is someone available to answer questions and/or receive applications.
  4. After we receive your application and required information, we will confirm qualifications and contact you as soon as possible about next steps.



For more information, contact the Cerro Gordo County Department of Public Health at 641-421-9301 or lpike@cghealth.com

Frequently Asked Questions:

Question: I am a landlord, can I participate?
Answer: Yes, landlords/rental units are eligible to participate.  The tenants have to meet the eligibility requirements listed above and the landlord must provide a 10% match.

Question: Will I have to move out of my home during the construction?
Answer: It depends on the location of lead hazards in your home.  Generally, relocation is required.  If and when relocation is required, those involved in the project(s) will be relocated to an area hotel or be provided a stipend to stay with family/friends.

Question: Will I have to pay for any of the improvements made to my home?
Answer: Landlords have to provide a 10% match to the project costs.  There is no match required for homeowners.  A three year forgivable mortgage is placed on your property after completion.  A third is forgiven each year.  If you maintain ownership for three years, the balance if forgiven.  If you do not maintain ownership for the three years, the project amount is to be paid back in full to Cerro Gordo County Department of Public Health.

Question:  I have a child 5 years of age or under, but they stay with their mother the majority of the time.  Can I participate?
Answer:  You may participate if your child visits your home a significant amount of time, which is 6 hours per week (3 hours per day on two separate days) defined by HUD.  You must have their mother fill out a Parent Verification Form before sending in the application.  Birth certificates must be provided for all children 5 years of age and under.