Creating safe routes to school – The Walking School Bus Program
The Walking School Bus is a program that provides a safe, consistent way in which children can walk to school as a group under the supervision of trained adults. It also encourages an easy and important form of exercise on their way to school…walking!
- Each route is designed with your child’s safety in mind.
- Walk Stops (meeting points) are close to your home (sometimes right at your door).
- Trained drivers walk children to school (background checks and trainings for volunteers are completed prior to program’s start).
- Children learn and practice traffic safety skills along the route and are dropped off at the school door.
- Routes are one mile in length. If families live farther away, students may meet the group along the route.
It’s easy and convenient!
- Volunteers are needed to lead the students to school along the Walking School Bus routes.
- Volunteers are encouraged to assist as least two mornings per week.
- Volunteers will be responsible for checking in with school liaisons regarding route issues, attendance, etc. each morning.
- Volunteers are encouraged to make the routes educational and fun by thinking up creative games and activities to play along the routes.
- Volunteers must pass criminal background checks conducted by the Health Department.
- CLICK HERE! to register to volunteer for the Walking School Bus!
- Volunteer training will be held on March 28th at 5PM at the Health Department.
- Students must be enrolled at one of the participating elementary schools.
- Parents/Guardians must sign up each student to participate in the program.
- Parents/Guardians should make an effort to contact the route leader to let them know when their child(ren) will not be using the walking school bus program (illness, vacation, etc.).
- Students will walk up to 1 mile on the route. (If your child has a disability limiting their ability to walk to school, please contact the Cerro Gordo County Department of Public Health, so we can accommodate your child’s needs.
- CLICK HERE! to register your student for the Walking School Bus!
2017-2018 Participating Schools and Routes
- Spring Session – April 2, 2018 – End of School Year